Friday, May 11, 2018

I'm Staying Right Here

My son is playing baseball again this year.  He loves being around the game.  And I'm glad to see him having fun with it.

Last week we were at one of his games.  It was getting late into the evening.  For whatever reason, Emerson was not getting any playing time.  He was sitting on the bench.  Not getting to hit.  Not getting to play in the field.  Nothing.  The coach had him sitting there doing nothing.

As I noticed the clock ticking later and later, and as I realized my boy was not going to get to play that night, I thought about Dad and Mom.  They were at the game too.  And they both had to go to work the next morning, which was just a few hours away.  So I leaned over to Dad and said, "Hey, I know it's getting late, and it doesn't look like Emerson isn't going to see any action tonight, it's ok if you and Mom want to head on home and get some rest.  We all will totally understand."  Dad sat there for a second, shook his head, and said, "No, I'm staying right here for the boy."  And he did.  Dad remained in the stands and supported his grandson even though there wasn't anything exciting going on.

Wow. 

I've been thinking about that for the past week.  "I'm staying right here."  What an awesome display of loyalty, love, and patience.

On a much larger scale, that's exactly how God is with all of us.  Sometimes we are the starting pitcher and totally dominating everything with excellence.  And other times we are sitting off to the side on the bench, not doing anything of great significance.  But every day of our lives, God is still there with us loyally, lovingly, patiently.

He doesn't pack His stuff up and leave when we're not at the top of our game in life.  Not at all.  He is an awesome Father who is always there through thick and thin.

People can let you down.  Folks come and go in life.  But God is different.  He hangs around day in and day out.  He looks at us and says, "I'm staying right here."  And what a blessing that is.

"the Lord your God will be with you, wherever you go."  Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment