Monday, May 7, 2018

Caesar Salad And The Christian Life

I love Zaxby's.  Really, I do.  Their food is delicious.

But I've had one issue with them lately...

The past four months, I've been on this salad kick.  Since January 1, I've eaten plenty of salads at this fine establishment.  The deal is, whenever I pull up to place my order for a Caesar salad, the person taking my order always asks, "What kind of dressing would you like with that?"  Think about that.  They're asking what kind of dressing I want on a Caesar salad.  Is there any other kind of dressing that I would want on a Caesar salad other than Caesar dressing?  The Caesar dressing is what makes a Caesar salad what it is.

This went on for quite a few weeks.  I found myself getting a little frustrated with the question about something so obvious.  A time or two (I'm slightly ashamed to confess) I even responded to the question about what kind of dressing I wanted with a slightly sarcastic response of, "Ummm....let me think...how about Caesar dressing?" 

Finally, one day, I pulled up to the window to pay and pick up the salad I had ordered.  A kind, lovely, young lady smiled, took my payment, and handed me my order.  Before I pulled off, I gently asked her, "Maam, I've got a question for you.  I've been ordering Caesar salads here for a while, and I'm always asked what kind of dressing I want on it.  Does anyone actually request anything other than Caesar dressing for a Caesar salad?"  She calmly said, "You know, you'd be surprised at the number of people who come through here and request something other than Caesar on their Caesar salad." 

I don't know about that.  It just makes no sense to me whatsoever.  Call me crazy if you want to, but in my mind a Caesar salad only has Caesar dressing.  But, different strokes for different folks, I suppose.  And, I reckon in the broad scheme of things, it really doesn't matter.

But I will say this ...  Just as Caesar dressing is what makes a Caesar salad what it is, love is what makes the Christian life what it is.  Jesus said the following in John 13:35 - "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."  Love has to do with being kind, patient, forgiving, helpful, and selfless towards other people.  So when we are loving, we are being exactly what a follower of Jesus should be.  Love is a key ingredient to what a Christian life is.  It's what makes that kind of life so special and powerful.

Maybe you disagree, but I really do think that Caesar dressing is what makes a Caesar salad so unique.  But regardless of whether you think I'm right or wrong on that, we'd all have to agree with Jesus on this:  Love is what makes the Christian life so unique.  Christianity without love is just not Christianity.  Love is vital to the experience and way of life.  May our God help us to have and share more of it everywhere we go, every day of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment