Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Leave A Tip

It's not something I've thought about much before my daughters started doing it.  Then it began to make sense.  All three of my girls have worked in a restaurant here in Sumter over the last couple of years.  And they've all had great experiences doing it.  I've been proud of them for getting out there and learning how to work hard.

I listen to them talking about what it has been like for them and their friends in that line of work.  And here is something I've noticed them talking about:  Some people really understand tipping and some people don't. 

Now that I've watched and listened to my girls, I'm much more aware of why this is so important.  And I interact with waiters and waitresses with more understanding now wherever I go.  I guess I understand them better because of what my girls have told me.

Here are a few quick thoughts to keep in mind when you go out to eat....

That guy or that girl who is waiting on your table does not get paid much money at all by the restaurant.  You'd be surprised at how little they make from their employer.  Their main source of income is tips.  That's how they make money.  They depend on tips.

I remember when I was a kid most folks tipped 10%.  That was pretty normal.  These days it's more like 15% - 20%.  I tend to lean towards 20% now wherever I go.  And if I can't afford to tip that day, I just don't go out to eat.  Please consider doing the same.

Remember that if your dining experience isn't everything you want, it's not always the fault of the waiter or the waitress.  They're not cooking the food.  They're not controlling the thermostat.  They're not in control of the noise level.  Be reasonable with them and keep in mind that if something goes wrong in whatever restaurant you're at, it's not always the fault of the waiter or waitress.  So don't financially "punish" that one who has waited on your table just because the experience didn't live up to your expectations.

Christians, that's fine if you want to leave a gospel track.  But do it in addition to a tip, not in place of one.  Yes, a track can help their souls get saved, but it won't help their bills get paid.

Be patient with that one who is waiting on you.  They're human.  They have good days and bad days, just like you do.  They have other things going on in their lives too.  So keep in mind you're dealing with a human being, not a robot.  Also, ask yourself, if that waiter was your son, or that waitress was your daughter, how would you want them to be treated?

I think ultimately, this is about more than tipping.  It's about being good to people.  It's about treating people the way we would want to be treated.  And it's about behaving like Jesus would.  He was loving, kind, patient, and forgiving.  It seems to me that whether we're in a restaurant or not, we ought to treat people the same way.

The next time you go out to eat, be good to that waitress or waiter.  It'll bless their heart.  And you'll have a good feeling for doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment