Thursday, November 2, 2017

What God Has Been Teaching Me

Recently, I turned 47 years old.  Along with that, I've reflected on some of the things God has been teaching me so far.  There's no doubt I have A LOT more to learn in life.  But here are just a few things that have started to make some sense along the way...

IT FEELS GOOD TO WORK.  Here's a confession:  I don't think I truly began to understand what real labor was until 4 years ago.  Now I work multiple jobs, and I love it.  Being productive and having my hands in several projects gives me a satisfying feeling.  I don't think God put us on this planet to lay around lazily.  Not at all!  So let's maximize our opportunities and utilize our abilities.  Let's do something with our lives and leave this world a better place than it was when we entered it.

I NEED THE CHURCH.  Regardless of whether I'm a pastor or not, I need to be around other believers.  Encouragement, guidance, accountability, and inspiration are just a few of the multiple benefits that come out of spending time with brothers and sisters in Christ.  No, the church isn't perfect.  But she is the bride of Christ.  She is precious to Him; therefore, she is also to be precious to us.  And being a part of this body of believers makes us better along the journey of life.  Let's be an active part of His church. 

I WANT TO DEAL WITH MY OWN ISSUES INSTEAD OF GETTING WORKED UP ABOUT YOURS.  We all stumble and fall one way or another.  We all make wrong choices and do wrong things.  Because of that, I think it's better for me to just deal with my own struggles rather than give you a hard time about yours.  I'm not in a position to criticize and judge you when I have my own shortcomings.  Let's all deal with the person who stares back at us in the mirror before we even think of dealing with other people about their flaws and quirks.

I CHOOSE TO FORGIVE MYSELF RATHER THAN BEAT MYSELF UP FOREVER ABOUT FAILURES.  At times, I've been hard on myself.  Even after receiving forgiveness from Jesus, family, and friends, I still wouldn't let go of my guilt.  But over time, God and family have helped me to forgive myself and move on with life.  We can't charge into the future if we're still holding onto the past.  Let's confess our sins to God and receive His forgiveness.  Then we need to forgive ourselves and let it go.

I CAN'T SPEND MY DAYS WORRIED ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME.  When it's all said and done, what God thinks of me is far more important than what people think of me.  And I've realized that living for the approval of other people is an exhausting exercise that never really ends or satisfies.  Let's all live for God's pleasure and approval through Jesus Christ.  What He thinks of us is what matters most in life.  As long as we are right with Him and walking in His will, we are exactly where we need to be.  And that's what ultimately matters most. 

Those are just some of the things God has been teaching me in my life.  Hopefully He will continue to help me learn more lessons along the way.  Learning from Him makes our lives so much better.

May He continue to teach you and bless you as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment