Monday, May 23, 2016

Mr. Socks

When my son, Emerson, was a little boy, he used to pull socks up his arms.  Then he would run around the house saying to all of us, "Hey everyone, my name is Mr. Socks!"  The little guy would always crack up laughing when he did it, and so did the rest of us.  It was a funny sight to behold!

Pretending or wishing to be someone else is not just something kids do.  Sometimes teenagers and adults want to do the same thing.   Maybe a few of these ideas have run through your mind at one time or another:

"I wish I was taller."
"I wish I was shorter."
"I wish I looked different."
"I wish I had a different kind of personality."
"I wish I had a different set of skills."

To be honest, I've thought things like this before.  Perhaps you have too.  It happens.

Let's all consider this today:  God made you and me exactly what we are for all the right reasons.  Rather than spending our time trying to turn into Mr. Socks or someone else, we should simply accept who we are and get comfortable in our own skin.  

In Psalm 139:14, the writer proclaims, "I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made."  Isn't that a fantastic verse?  He is saying, "God, You made me for a specific reason and with a perfect plan in mind; therefore, I worship you."

The little boy who said it years ago was exactly right:  "God don't make no junk."

There's nothing wrong with kids pretending to be someone else.  But when we grow up, we need to understand who we are and learn to be ok with it.  God didn't make a mistake when He made you or me.  So let's accept how He made us and live to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment