Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Remember


I could not remember it.

A lady asked me yesterday for my wife's cell phone number.  I had to tell her I forgot.  See, I have it programmed into my phone and I just hit a button to call Lara.  So it's been quite a while since I had to even think about what her number is.  When I told her this, the lady laughed and asked me, "Now, how are you going to call her if you don't have your cell phone with you?"  Good question.  She got me on that one.

I guess I do need to commit it to memory.

Many folks don't have phone numbers memorized any more.

And, come to think if it, lots of people don't have Bible verses memorized any more either.  Like phone numbers, guys and gals have to pause, scratch their heads, and try to remember passages of scripture.  If we're honest, we'll admit many of us need to do a better job with that.

I remember good ole Dr. Tom Painter.  He was a preacher that mentored me a little bit during my early years of ministry.  And he was my wife's grandfather.  That man had committed tons of Bible verses to memory.  He could quote long passages in a skinny minute.  It was impressive.

Psalm 119:11 says, "I have hidden your word in my heart..."  Can you and I say that?  Have we read and stored portions of God's word in our hearts and minds?  We should!  When we memorize scripture, we have peace ready for storms, strength ready for battles, guidance ready for decisions, and help ready for temptations.  When scripture is stored in our hearts and minds, it makes a difference in our lives,

Yeah, we would all do well to memorize important phone numbers.

But even more importantly, we would be extra wise to memorize God's Word.  That'll pay off in ways we can't begin to imagine.  And we'll be glad one day that we took the time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment