Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Grandmama


I'd like to introduce you to my Grandmama.

She is a wonderful Southern lady who has always been good to me.  Grandmama loves the South Carolina Gamecocks, the Lutheran church, her bridge clubs, and good books.  And she really loves her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.

I'm her oldest grandchild, and I've always been thankful for the good relationship I have with her.  The first college football game I ever attended was with her.  I once travelled around Italy with her.  And I've treasured the days and nights I've sat in her living room and talked with her about life.

Grandmothers sure are special ladies, aren't they?!  They are in a league of their own.  And they deserve our love, gratitude, and respect.

Here are a couple quotes I found about grandmothers:

"A grandmother is a little bit parent, a little bit teacher, and a little bit best friend."  Author Unknown

"Grandmas hold our tiny hands for just a little while ... but our hearts forever."  Author Unknown

The neatest thing I've read in the Bible about a grandmother is in 2 Timothy 1:5.  It turns out that Lois was Timothy's grandmother.  Lois had a "sincere faith" that she passed down to her grandson.  She made a spiritual impact on a young man that became a leader in the church and a witness for The Lord.

I'm thankful for how Grandmama has encouraged me spiritually.  She has prayed for me and advised me many times over the years.  What a blessing she has been in my life!

On Christmas Eve of 2012, I attended a late night communion service with Grandmama at her church.  She and I knelt side-by-side and remembered the cross of Christ with the bread and the wine.  It was a sacred moment I'll never forget.  And it was just one of many instances where she encouraged me in The Lord.

May God bless all grandmothers who build us up spiritually.

May we grandsons and granddaughters express our gratitude to these special ladies who have looked after us and prayed for us over the years.

Thanks for everything, Grandmama.  I love you!  And I'm proud to be one of your grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment