Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Button


I stood up to preach recently at church on a Sunday morning and realized one of my coat buttons was missing.  This was a minor bummer because I knew I'd have to find the lost button, and I had no idea where it could be.  My hope was it would turn up in my truck or office.

Well, I couldn't find it anywhere.  The button was nowhere to be seen.  I was beginning to wonder if it was gone forever.

But yesterday I was sitting on the front pew in our sanctuary.  I just happened to glance at a table and there it was!  My button was sitting there and waiting for me to reclaim it.

I was thrilled!  It was a happy moment when I realized that the lost item was now mine.  On the inside, I was rejoicing.

Then, I thought this:  If I was that glad over a lost button being found, God and His angels must be a million times more glad when a lost soul is found and saved.  I'll bet Heaven rejoices when people cry out to Jesus in faith and receive the gift of grace.  

See, God does care about that kind of stuff.  Actually, He cares Big Time.  People matter to Him.

When a lost person gets saved, He rejoices.

When a backslidden prodigal repents and returns, He rejoices.

Isn't it great to know that we matter that much to God?!

No comments:

Post a Comment